As a marketer, watching a breakout viral story unfold before my social network eyes is always fascinating. How did that start? Why did that one catch fire and others didn’t?
Last month, I wrote this article for ClickZ, in collaboration with my colleague Roger Katz, on just these topics, for Friend2Friend — “What brands can learn from the #ALSIceBucketChallenge” summarizing recommendations as follows:
- Be social platform agnostic
- Leverage the social network effect
- Make it meaningful, but make it fun!
- Make it clearly actionable
- Give it time to catch fire, and
- Involve celebs if you can!