Check out this excellent article “Developing a Social Strategy.” Step through the slides. Key takeaways:
- First listen and learn
- Engage, but focus on sharing and watching
- Look at ways to support your customers and help them solve their problems
- Engage your customers in your innovation — what are their ideas?
- Start small, focusing on one business goal where social media can have an impact — and gauge success by how well you reached the business goal
- Practice and preach openness — this takes courage!
Their follow on “Understand Your Customers’ Social Behaviors” is also worth a look. Their report focuses on how it’s important to conduct research to identify the social behaviors of your customers before you do anything. For example, identify:
- Where customers are online (use surveys, brand monitoring)
- Who customers trust (surveys)
- Who customers influence (surveys, brand monitoring)
- How customers use social tools in the context of your products
Once you understand, the plan can be built.